MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)

Started by baldand, December 09, 2013, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

Quote from: baldand on December 14, 2014, 09:33:19 AM
That's not correct.

If you enable the stripe correction, that also includes the hot pixel detection algo. However, it will only become useful after a few frames of training, and it is not usable for tripod based scenes.

That pass does modify the pixel data in the DNGs, so it is not possible for resolve "not to recognise" this. How well the detection works is another question. I think currently it is tuned only to suppress very strong hot pixels. It may well be less effective at high ISO.

So it's a mystery :) I don't know why but Resolve clearly still shows even the strongs hot pixels that mlrv remove. Anyone has make this work?

baldand

@togg It would be useful if you could provide DNGs with and without stripe/hot-pixel correction so that I could reproduce your problem. Previously when trying with your provided MLVs, it was working correctly for me in Resolve.

budafilms

@Baldand I have all my footage plenty of hot pixels and I did all DNG's with your software.
I'm very sure that hot pixel correction doesn't work.

baldand

@budafilms did you have the stripe correction enabled or not? Did you see the hot pixels in the viewer after enabling it?

budafilms

Yes, I did and not. Depends the image.

No, in the viewer I never see one. I had use in the set a macbook pro, so, maybe for the size - or the RAW color.
Only in DaVinci Resolve or when I exported.

As I told you, I don't have anymore the .raw for start to work again.
It's a full length movie and I have 10 TB of footage.

togg

Quote from: baldand on December 14, 2014, 04:00:39 PM
@togg It would be useful if you could provide DNGs with and without stripe/hot-pixel correction so that I could reproduce your problem. Previously when trying with your provided MLVs, it was working correctly for me in Resolve.

Ok thanks! I'll do it in a few days.

baldand

Quote from: budafilms on December 14, 2014, 05:40:25 PM
Yes, I did and not. Depends the image.

No, in the viewer I never see one. I had use in the set a macbook pro, so, maybe for the size - or the RAW color.
Only in DaVinci Resolve or when I exported.

As I told you, I don't have anymore the .raw for start to work again.
It's a full length movie and I have 10 TB of footage.

Sorry, but if I don't receive clear bug reports providing enough information and sample data for me to be able to reliably reproduce and diagnose a problem, there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Please don't forget that this is not a commercial application, and has no other primary developers apart from myself. I have only 1 ML-enabled camera (a 7D), only a limited range of environments to test with. In addition, I primarily develop the app in Linux, not Windows or OS X. And last, but not least, I am only able to work on this during my limited spare time.

To be honest, I've pretty much reached the point where I don't think I should carry on making and supporting binary releases of the app for Windows and OS X any more. I don't think it is fair on any of you when I am unable to give them more than a quick smoke test. It might be a different story if there would be any other active contributers who could help out with testing and debugging platform specific issues, but there isn't.

Anyway I think the interest level in ML raw has pretty much peaked, and MLVFS is the best option for post processing. So now is probably a good time for me to move on to other things.

Thanks to everyone who contributed feedback. Sorry I couldn't fix all your bugs or implement every feature you wanted. Good luck to you all in your different projects.

N/A

No, thank YOU, Baldand. You've done a phenomenal job on this app, your hard work is definitely appreciated. Hope you stick around the forums and continue sharing knowledge.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Danne

My deepest respect for your efforts.
Also feel I could contributed more.
Maybe I could set up a more systematic approach for testing osx environment if you decide to keep mlrawviewer going.
All the best to you and biggest thanks.

DeafEyeJedi

My deepest condolences (well it's not really dead yet) for your never ending contributions towards to this remarkable app of yours...

I just have been slammed with work during the Lakers season and Dodgers winter-meetings as well as just wrapping up the Galaxy championship run at TimeWarner Cable Sportsnet so I apologize if you felt that the certain few of us who enjoy troubleshooting with your app have been on the down low.

Again as always I'm more than happy to help on the OS X side (such as @Danne) in order to keep this app of yours alive!

Trust me I think about MLRawViewer in my head and I'm constantly praising to others about how useful your app is.

Please stay warm and enjoy your Holidays...

Be in touch and THANKS!

*EDIT*

Just got my schedule for the next few weeks and it looks like I'll have the next few days off... I'll jump on board with this app and troubleshoot it down as much as I can. Thanks again, Andrew!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

togg

You're right, you have stated before that you wanted to end the project with a stable version. 1.3.4 seems good enough. To me it's the perfect app and I couldn't rely on MLVFS. I'm sorry that I wasn't able to contribute more with debugging, university and exams are a pain in the ass, even my project has to be filmed in spare time :)

Kharak

Thank you Baldand!

MLVFS aint good for us Windows guys.

For on the set work, your program is one of the best contributions to ML Raw video.
once you go raw you never go back

arrinkiiii

Indeed Kharak !

Thanks Baldand, thank you so much for your work, it was a pleasure. Hope you still stay around with us =)

timbytheriver

I'd like to also add my thanks to Andrew for a great app that 'gets it' right out of the box. Good luck for the future. :)
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

ikola1

Like every other happy user of MIRawViewer, Thank you very much Baldand  ;) , this app is such a pleasure to work with and it has given such an easy priceless access to the MagicLanternRaw files with the direct reading. I have used it with my last little project : drag MLVs, extract .mov for editing in premiere, open a linked comp in AE, replace with the dngs via ACR and 50Dvisionlog, denoise, Lut, export : voilĂ . So easy now because of you. Filming by night during the Festival of Lights in Lyon : no artifacts, no hot pixels, no banding or small pixels patterns. Thank you again and again  :) :) :) !! Check it : www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ljPKYskj8

DeafEyeJedi

**feedbacks**

Exports stops at 345 mb's from 3x crop MLV files with Audio being squashed in half due to shooting 48fps (30fps in 3x crop mode) and I suspect that the Audio files are shorter than the Media File itself which may have cause this error... which is to be expected, correct?

Nightly 3288e152d8ae (unified) 2014 Aug08.5D3113

Log file -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24998329/For_Andrew_12_15_14.rtf

pilgrim

Thanks Andrew ! You doing great with the program MlRawViewer. I use on Mac and Win7. I only two or three time give feedback, but really this is a great program. And all my wish already done (LUT, colour bar on the timing and colour correction).
I use ML on Canon only on personal project, many other project on Sony and Atomos Ninja for the reason easy to use for the other crew who are not 'geeks'. But the result of the image of RAW/MLV from MagicLantern which can be seen directly by MlRawViewer is really great. And being able to export directly to ProRes is wonderful, as I am an FinalCutPro user. I don't have time time and resource through DNG files.
I can imagine your feeling  :( ... but I can not help for programming...
Anyway, I always update MlRawViewer, and follow this thread. I still hope that you will continue. Maybe you dont't need update so often. Even the bug for some camera, or operating system, MlRawViewer still great program. In my office I use FinalCutPro, but for my personal project I use, Lightworks, Shotcut and also Blender : all are free-ware. Before, the program Shotcut always updated very often, it can be daily... but since few months it's update once in a month. I find out it's good and I downloaded each month. I hope that you will continue again, but please don't feel a pressure to fix from each bug, it's impossible to please EVERYONE. We are not strong enough to read a complete thread : to find the same problem from other and try the solution from that problem.
Yes, most of the program and activity in these kinds are on the free time  :) :) :) and some time we use our time on it more than should be... event we didn't know if we are working or doing hobby  :) :) :)   So, if you still have a free time please update the program, maybe you find some new function or more interesting GUI. I don't mind the time of release, it can be each month, each two months, each three months, etc. It doesn't matter if there is a bug, we can always going back the previous version as the program is a 'portable' program. If you want to take a break for a few months, enjoy your time...  :)
Again, thank you very much for such a wonderful program.

DeafEyeJedi

Very well said @pilgrim!

Fantastic colors/lighting during nighttime shooting @ikola1!

ikola1

@DeafEyeJedi Thank you i'm really happy you like it  :), all the credits to you all guys, i only know myself how to frame some pictures, i know absolutely nothing about programming unfortunately, and all i know about magiclantern tweaking/optimisation, post-prod/debayer/ACR/AE tricks etc.. is from the forum and especially Andy600. I'd like to give more feedback but when something magiclantern related bug i first blame myself and reboot what's freezing ! I agree with Pilgrim too, we dont need weekly or monthly updates now. Things i dream about is the possibility to export ProxyProRes and running the app on my old 2006 macbook. Just keep on dreamin' ^^

togg

I will do the hot pixel test this night anyway. Just to understand how it works or not works.

Those are a few frames that I have elaborated with this workflow: raw ---> mlrv --> export dng --> import Resolve --> color grading/correction with ImpulZ and stuffs.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0nt3b606s7v56m6
I've not started editing since I've not ended the shootings, those are just tests :)

budafilms

@baldand
Could be a VERY good tool improve a converter from DNG to RAW, for archive, apply other conversor for reduce hot pixels, bad setting, etc.

I think you can finish your great work doing this last command. So, if people have more problems in the conversion, have the possibility to try other ways.

Thanks a lot  ;)

DeafEyeJedi

togg

Quote from: budafilms on December 16, 2014, 06:24:47 PM
@baldand
Could be a VERY good tool improve a converter from DNG to RAW, for archive, apply other conversor for reduce hot pixels, bad setting, etc.

I think you can finish your great work doing this last command. So, if people have more problems in the conversion, have the possibility to try other ways.

I think that this is impossible (I'm pretty sure) and I haven't really understood the use of it! Anyway it would not be something to take in consideration now :)

budafilms

jc

Hi Baldand, thanks again for your amazing app!

So i know the huge amount of work you put into lossless compressed DNG raw and its great thanks!

Is it possible also to do a 3:1 lossy raw compression too like the new blackmagic camera can do ?

My guess to how this works is the same way you can get a lossy PNG compression.. the PNG compression is lossless but the amount of compression depends on the similarities in the file... if you therefore post process the file and make quite small changes to make the file a tad more "uniform" then pass that to the lossless compressor you then get effectively a "lossy" compression.. but one where you still have the full flexibility of the raw format ...  ( maybe even a light and simple noise reduction or alias reduction option may increase the compressibility of the raw files too!)

here is some info on lossy png http://pngmini.com/lossypng.html

& here is the discussion of the 3:1 lossy raw on the blackmagic cam http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29887&p=181686

i think if you implemented this you might get a lot of shooters, not just magic lantern shooters but many others .. even time lapse photographers or other camera manufacturers that shoot dng to start using your app to view, apply look and finally lost compress raw!

Just a thought and love the app!

James