Headline news

Want to help with Magic Lantern development, without having to code?

You can find our live webchat here: [email protected]

Author Topic: RAWMagic 1.0, a GUI CinemaDNG converter for Mac OS X!  (Read 123155 times)

martin_a

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
RAWMagic 1.0, a GUI CinemaDNG converter for Mac OS X!
« Reply #825 on: July 23, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
I've already asked at least three users to send me DNGs that show the problem so I can fix this for good, but nobody seems to want to send them to me. If anyone wants this fixed, I need the DNGs so I can see where the problem is.

What kind of DNGs do you need ? I can do a few tests today and send you the DNGs if you need so :)
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

Thomas Worth

« Reply #826 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:20 PM »
I need DNGs from people who are still having the pink cast problem in DaVinci and other programs. I've tried to reproduce this here, but I can't. Everything is working fine on my end. ???

martin_a

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
« Reply #827 on: July 23, 2014, 03:23:19 PM »
I'll try to do a few tests tonight on Premiere Pro & Speedgrade CC 2014, if I have these problems i'll send you the DNGs !
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

QuickHitRecord

• Freshman
« Reply #828 on: July 23, 2014, 05:12:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I haven't had any pink cast issues with 1.21 in Resolve (using Force Black Level = ON;
12-Bit CDNGs).
5DmIII | August 7 2014 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.13) | KomputerBay 1066x 256GB CF Card

chmee

• Contributor
  • raw2cdng
« Reply #829 on: July 23, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
@all
if you want to help the community (and the coder), do some sample-footage we can use all together. read here

regards chmee

martin_a

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
« Reply #830 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »
So here are my results :

5D Mark III 16 Bits CDNGs exported with After Effects to Apple ProRes 4444 XQ files : no pink cast problems even in overexposed areas when i push the exposition settings.

When i try to open the DNGs directly in Premiere Pro without converting it in ProRes i get a whole pink image, in Speedgrade i get a whole green image...
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

Danne

• Supporter
« Reply #831 on: July 24, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »
Why not, as a rule include a converted dng with a description of the issue in question. Use a dropbox-account or similar. What can be done without a specific file to work with otherwise?

Midphase

« Reply #832 on: July 24, 2014, 09:07:56 PM »
When i try to open the DNGs directly in Premiere Pro without converting it in ProRes i get a whole pink image, in Speedgrade i get a whole green image...

Is it possible that this doesn't really involve RAWMagic, but that instead you're suffering from the dreaded Black Level issue?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0

martin_a

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
« Reply #833 on: July 27, 2014, 09:53:39 AM »
Thanks for helping, i'll try the "Fix black level" option today as i have a few shoots planned :)
5D Mark III
16-35 f/2.8L II USM
24-70 f/2.8L II USM

psuarez

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
« Reply #834 on: July 31, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »
Hi Thomas.  I'd like to send you some images and raw files that show some discrepancy I'm having when converting RAW files with RAWMagic. I can't tell how to post images here. Sorry. Can I email the somewhere?. I'll post a Dropbox link but will take it offline after a little while.  I was hoping to post file here so they stay as a reference for everyone to learn. Let me know if I can post them another way.  The gamma seems to be higher with RAWMagic than with MLVMystic.  This makes the images more prone to noise in the shadows IMHO.  I know all this is relative but I'd love to know your opinion.  I'm using the newest Cinelog LUT as an imput LUT. Let me know what you think.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3op9piz5ifages/Test.zip
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:48:41 AM by psuarez »

psuarez

• Supporter
  • New to the forum
« Reply #835 on: August 11, 2014, 02:41:25 AM »
Hmmm. No response here.  I'm guessing Thomas is busy.

peoplemerge

• New to the forum
« Reply #836 on: August 17, 2014, 10:06:56 PM »
I'm finding that on 5D2, I must tweak the black level to somewhere around 1700-1800.  I'm not sure what the rhyme or reason for it is yet, but it certainly has varied among the footage I've taken.  If I set it too low, the shadows turn red, and if too high (like 2048), I get pink cast or green 3d look.  Some shots are great at 1700 others 1800.  I think this is a 5D2 issue, from what I gather, 2048 is solid on 5D3.

For me, all this means having to go back to processing using shell scripts :(

ayshih

• Contributor
« Reply #837 on: August 17, 2014, 10:50:59 PM »
Different cameras have different target black levels.  The 50D (which has the same generation technology as the 5D2) has a target black level of 1792, and I haven't noticed any significant variation around that.  It's possible that you are actually correcting for white-balance issues when you find you have to tweak the black level to as low as 1700.  The issues with black level should hopefully go away when this pull request is fully tested and merged.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Thomas Worth

« Reply #838 on: August 17, 2014, 11:46:48 PM »
Here's what I've discovered in the past few weeks:

The 5D Mark III and 7D want a black level of 2048. The 5D Mark II wants a black level of 1792. Other cameras use 1024 for the black level. I've added the option to force these values to be written to the DNG, in the event this is needed.

Finder and Preview seem to ignore the black level in the DNG if the DNG contains a camera model name it recognizes. In this case, it thinks it already knows what the best settings should be. This conflicts with other things RAWMagic is writing to the DNG file. The workaround is to change the camera model name in the DNG file to something Finder and Preview don't recognize. That way, it forces them to rely on the values in the DNG. I've added a "Generic Camera" option to the list of cameras in RAWMagic in case you want to prevent Preview or Finder from screwing up the picture.

The 1.2.2 update has already been submitted to Apple. I'm just waiting on them to approve it.

reddeercity

« Reply #839 on: August 18, 2014, 12:43:25 AM »
I think this is a 5D2 issue, from what I gather, 2048 is solid on 5D3.
No its the code, if you go back to older builds before the black level issue , like Feb 16th it fine.
I keep using feb 16th builds to avoid the black level problem for paid work .
Its has to do with the 5D3 issue , the 5d2 is just a casualty of the code ,  because everything is base for the 5d3 and adapted to other Cameras.

peoplemerge

• New to the forum
« Reply #840 on: August 18, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »
Nice, thanks guys!

Also I gather from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11664.0
... that any files that have the cast can be just corrected with an exiftool wildcard.  That'll save me a boatload of time not needing to re-process anything.

Thomas Worth

« Reply #841 on: August 20, 2014, 05:05:28 AM »
The RAWMagic 1.2.2 update is now available in the App Store. More changes are on the way, but I wanted to get the critical ones out ASAP.

stevefal

• Contributor
« Reply #842 on: August 20, 2014, 11:54:01 PM »
I would appreciate if the tooltips explained exactly how to decide each option, rather that to reiterate what the control already implies. What's important is the implication of each choice.

For instance, why would I choose a Black Level of 2048? How would I possibly know without spending time poring over ML forums? Likewise with choosing "Generic Camera" versus my own camera. Or 12 versus 16 bit?

As I understood from times past, some of the options determined compatibility with Finder, Premiere Pro, Resolve or maybe others. Some were mutually exclusive. Are they still? How would I know? What other recipes are there to make-or-break a given scenario?

Ideally the app would eliminate unnecessary options, make the "everything just works" setup completely apparent, and then better document any non-default settings in terms of specifically why you'd use them (or why you'd better not).

As things are, based on faith and lack of any better knowledge, I'll use:

Camera: 5D3 (that's what I have)
WB: Auto (I white balance in camera)
Bit depth: 12 (a 5D3 has less that 12 stops DR)
Black level: Auto (no reason to choose otherwise)
Vertical Stripes Correction: ON (who would ever want stripes?)

With these settings, I'd expect the footage to work perfectly in Finder thumbnails, Adobe Bridge, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, FCPX, and Resolve. If I'm wrong, then it would be nice if the software lead me to the right settings for such scenarios.

Thomas Worth

« Reply #843 on: August 21, 2014, 12:40:01 AM »
Ideally the app would eliminate unnecessary options, make the "everything just works" setup completely apparent, and then better document any non-default settings in terms of specifically why you'd use them (or why you'd better not).
Yes, you're right. I'm working on doing exactly that. I've written a user guide, but it didn't make it into that update. The 1.2.2 release was primarily to fix problems people have been having, but since then I've streamlined things. The next update, 1.2.3, will be much clearer and will include full documentation.

stevefal

• Contributor
« Reply #844 on: August 21, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
Super.

peoplemerge

• New to the forum
« Reply #845 on: August 21, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
stevefal:
I would resist going to 12-bit color depth if a 16 bit workflow works for you.  It has nothing to do with dynamic range.  Mindphase prefers the extra speed in post processing that he gets in 12 bit, but I don't.  IMO you are throwing out a lot of color data that you could have used in grading. 14 bit native is one of the few areas that ML is superior to most pro cams like Alexa and most Red cameras (I think there are a few true 16 bit cams that have just hit the market but not many).  I haven't seen any apples-to-apples tests 12 vs 16 after grading, but I'll bet you could see a difference.

Edit: I just read over some older discussions on 14 bit that say the bottom 2 bits might just be noise... Maybe someone that's kept up with the development could weigh in.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:49:15 PM by peoplemerge »

a1ex

• Administrator
  • 5D Mark Free
« Reply #846 on: August 25, 2014, 10:57:30 PM »
@Thomas,

Here's a challenge for you.

As discussed here, I'm thinking to move away from the video side of ML. Naturally, video users will need somebody who does what I used to do - fix bugs, implement feature requests, polish th user interface, cleanup and maintain the code and so on. Since you are directly interested in ML RAW video - you are getting a nice profit out of it after all - I think it's high time you started contributing.

What do you think?

nikfreak

« Reply #847 on: August 28, 2014, 12:52:42 PM »
Time to push out a final nightly (call it 2.4 or whatever) and at the same time an announcement of raw video stuff being thrown out of ML in future nightlies releases. Code will be cleaned up on bitbucket to get focus on photo stuff. Maybe that would be also the time to announce unsupporting some old cams or cams with less contributors. All video'ers might use that final nightly and others will shoot fullres-silent pics up to 1/8000 in future releases incorporating much more photo stuff which gets contributed. Something like that should do the trick to get the internet's eye on ML. Afterwards we will see what happens and who pops up here to help and get all back into development branch - if that will be ever needed.

and btw that's no joke.

Thomas Worth

« Reply #848 on: August 28, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
What do you think?
Seems reasonable. I'll look into it.

Toffifee

• 5D Mark III Happy tester
« Reply #849 on: Yesterday at 05:02:27 PM »
@A1ex

What are you moving into? Or are you moving away from ML in general?

courtesy