700D stuck/locked on Live View mode and doesn't turn off! :(

Started by Raw_Video_Fan, August 18, 2016, 04:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raw_Video_Fan

Hi guys, how are you all doing?

I am currently experiencing a very frustrating problem with my Canon 700D that I bought used recently. As stated in the subject title, my camera is unable to turn off...and...it is always displayed on the LCD screen "Press button to activate movie shooting", thus it is making it incredibly difficult to take photos and to adjust any settings!

The only way to have it turned off is to leave it to automatically shut off or to take out the battery, as soon as the battery door closes (with batter inserted) it switches the camera on despite the fact the switch is set to "OFF". None of the modes on the dial works either!

I've looked around and only one person has experienced this but that conversation came to a halt with no resolution.

Please help me on this matter guys, I've even updated it to the latest firmware and the problem still persists! Abou to go mad since I have a photoshoot in a couple of days too! :(

I look forward hearing back from you ladies and gents.

Raw_Video_Fan

I've also now attached images to further illustrate my problem.

Anyone else had experienced this?

a1ex

Please resize your images (I'm unable to see them, very slow connection).

Raw_Video_Fan

Images have now been resized.

Does it help? Any luck knowing the problem perhaps??

a1ex

The camera was started without a card, correct? If so, the problem appears to be at the on/off switch. If the switch is off, the camera starts by itself as soon as you close the battery and card doors, correct?

"Press button to activate movie shooting" -> to my knowledge, this one appears when you attach a Canon lens in movie mode, after powering on the camera. I don't see it in your screenshot.

Raw_Video_Fan

QuoteThe camera was started without a card, correct? If so, the problem appears to be at the on/off switch. If the switch is off, the camera starts by itself as soon as you close the battery and card doors, correct?

That is absolutely correct. The camera can start with or without a card as long as the battery and card doors are closed.

Quote"Press button to activate movie shooting" -> to my knowledge, this one appears when you attach a Canon lens in movie mode, after powering on the camera. I don't see it in your screenshot.

I can still get this with or without a lens attached, when this is displayed it is technically my only ability to take photos, as soon as I go into Live View mode (or Movie Mode whatever you like to call it) I cannot directly exit it, I would have to go into the Menu and display the Firmware Info where then the camera locks the mirror back into its place, I can then get out of the Menu and I'm back to this "Press Button..." message.

a1ex

Right, this happens because your power switch is stuck in the "movie" position. Unfortunately I don't know how to fake the status of this switch from software, so I'm afraid you have to fix the hardware.

FYI, that switch is connected to the MPU (an I/O CPU that we can't control directly), and we just barely started to understand how to talk to it.

Raw_Video_Fan

I see, so it definitely seems like a hardware problem and needs to be servied right?

Is there anyway to know if Warranty is still available for my camera? Despite the fact that it was purchased used from eBay who the seller says he got it from a 'friend'?