RAW Workflow for T4i/650D - opinions wanted

Started by PabloW, August 05, 2016, 05:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloW

Hello! I would really like opinions on this worflow for shooting 1280x720 at 24fps with a Canon T4i/650D on a Windows system. I've read a bunch of really useful things in this forum, but most of it is from 2013 or 2014, and I see there are lots of new tools available now that weren't before, so:

1) Shoot 1280x720 24fps with .MLV (including sound)
2) Convert .MLV to .DNG with MLVProducer, selecting the option to remove both focus and sensor dots
3) Import DNG sequence on After Effects and grade the footage with Camera RAW
4) Export as 1920x1080 24 fps AVI with BlackMagic 10-bit codec
5) Edit in Premiere then export to 1080p H.264 or whatever depending the need

My doubts with this worflow are:
- Should I just work with the DNG sequences directly on Premiere and then grade and export everything there? does it require too much hardware power for this resolutions?
- Will the 10-bit BM codec limit my image quality noticeably?
- Should I leave the footage how it is on AE, export it, and then do all the grading in Premiere instead?

Thanks!

andy kh

Try mlvfs for windows. I usually cut in premiere pro first and do the grading later. Color Grading in AF is kool but the workflow is very slow so i use resolve
5D Mark III - 70D

PabloW

The problem with MLVFS is that I need to remove the pink dots from the DNGs, I can't just use them like they come. Does MLVFS has the ability to remove them as well?

Also, how much hardware power would I need to do DNG editing in premiere directly? I have an i5 2500k, 8gb ram, and GeForce 5850. State of the art... of 2011 :D

Danne

Mac version does  it(dfort dot list coordinates). I think windows version is having the same abilities.

andy kh

@pablo who said u hav to remove pink dots in mlvfs? Just download n try. It works wonderful. U wil b pleased with the result

I think your comp hardware is good enough to edit 720 mlv raw. I use a dell laptop (i7 2nd gen, 8gb ram, 2gb nvidia 525)
5D Mark III - 70D

PabloW

Well, I finally got my 128gb 95mb/s card, and I shooted some MLV footage.

MLVFS works nicely, and its DOES remove the dots automatically! completely awesome. But I'm having some problems with soem white dots thats appear on the image. Anyone has any idea on how to fix that?

Playback of the DNG sequence in Premiere is not exactly smooth. It can play the files, and I can do some editing, but not flawlessly. Do you think there's some settings I'm not using right, or is the hardware just not enough?

Thanks everybody for the help, I really appreciate it.

Kharak

Quote from: PabloW on August 23, 2016, 04:32:44 AMBut I'm having some problems with soem white dots thats appear on the image. Anyone has any idea on how to fix that?

Probably

Quote from: PabloW on August 23, 2016, 04:32:44 AM
Do you think there's some settings I'm not using right,

Probably

Quote from: PabloW on August 23, 2016, 04:32:44 AM
or is the hardware just not enough?

Probably

Better wait for Walter and his magic ball.

once you go raw you never go back

Danne

Can you post a sample dng file?
If you have som extra dots these could be mapped out in the files located inside mlvfs. YOu need to now the coordinate of the dot and which of the map files to put it in. Here,s a thread on the topic.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.150