The Return to Creativity

Started by mrblakeney, July 28, 2016, 05:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrblakeney

Hey All,

Buster here. A young man from Los Angeles, CA, who's been away from filmmaking for far too long after some crazy twists and turns to life. My last good movie was 17 years ago, when my elementary school mates and I were making DV movies featuring epic go-kart chases and hastily-recruited little sisters as witches and highfall stunts performed by clothes stuffed with pillows. But I'm very excited to get back to creating with a renewed vigor and without hesitation or shame; to start making things again for the sake of making them without being afraid of failure or scrutiny. Currently working with:

• An old, but cared-for Canon t3i
  • A Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS
  • Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II
  • Canon EFS 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS II
  • Macbook Pro Late 2013 (sadly only 4GB RAM)
  • Adobe Creative Cloud - Student Edition
Not very Gucci gear right now, but I'm more interested in reacquainting myself with the fundamentals and getting to be a little bit bold before I invest much more in gear.

In addition to a spec feature screenplay, I'm currently working on a shortform espionage film (or films) inspired by Band of Outsiders, James Bond movies, jazz, 80's post-punk music, the writing of William S Burroughs, and Los Angeles. Please feel free to hit me up if you're in LA and want to meet up for a coffee or cocktail to talk about movies and art!

Very glad to be here.

P.S. If anybody can answer these questions and save me having to ask them elsewhere, that would be appreciated.

• Are there any card compatibility issues for ML or the t3i? I was going to pick up some PNY Elite SDXC Cards but I don't know if I'd be better served with two 64GB or one 128GB.
  • Is there a primer tutorial on Magic Lantern? I've been away for a LONG time and the featureset has gotten almost intimidatingly robust.
  • How "safe" is shooting RAW on the 600D? I've seen some incredible test footage, but I'm wondering how stable it is and how much more difficult it makes post.
  • Any suggestions on lenses that I can upgrade these with (or preferably, trade these three for one or two nice-looking lenses)?
  • Any sources on good gear? The last I was shooting the market was flooded with knockoff stuff but it looks to have gotten quite nice lately. Any suggestions on must-have accessories for the t3i?
Thank you very much!