intentionally glitching footage

Started by spe42, May 02, 2016, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spe42

Just got an eos m, going to start experimenting with that once I can devote some more time to exploring the different post production options outlined in the forum...
This may sound like a strange request, since the main trend of this forum seems to me to be trying to get improved footage out of the canon cameras (I do like nice footage as well), however, I am curious to hear if anyone has any suggestions on intentionally corrupting raw images, and stable ways to save them and/or convert them.
I've attempted to make one movie using such "glitched" footage by a very lengthy process of importing video footage as raw data into audacity, but the process only outputs a small portion of footage from the middle of the original that is even readable.
By convenient fluke the original file became corrupted when I was exporting it from final cut pro 7 (which I don't have anymore) on a computer that couldn't really handle 1080p (which I also don't have anymore, currently running a 2012 macbook pro)...
you can watch it below. An example of what I'm talking about can be seen around the 1hr and 39 minute mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIRdbCirjPE
there is also image stabilization from youtube.
-cheers
the wrong man for thhe wrong job

Nutsy

Those glitches are fairly simple. mostly just scripted wiggle controls in after effects...

No plugins required for that kind of glitch...

The one glitch effect I would love to know how to do but i think it requires plugins for it, is the mpeg break up and artefact dragging effect.

Simple mpeg breakups are easy to do using mosaics, but artefact dragging is something a little more interesting. Its equally hard to explain :D

Its where the breakup effect appears to drag or pull with the motion from the source footage....

If one happens to know how thats done or know a plugin for it. Please let me know.

UPDATE:
Turns out the effect i described is called Datamosh(ing), Thanks google :D
7D - 3D Artist and VFX/Motion Graphics Artist

cmccullum

@nutsy it is indeed referred to as datamoshing. Did you find out how to do it? There aren't really any plugins that will give the same effect. If you google further you'll find lots of tutorials and other fun ways to break your videos and images.

The echo effect in premiere can achieve something very vaguely similar to the dragging effect you're talking about, but it's not quite right

Nutsy

Yeah saw a couple of you tube tutorials on ways to do it... I think I can adapt them to make a better looking mosh :)
7D - 3D Artist and VFX/Motion Graphics Artist